Hello hello…and Happy Saturday to you. 🙂 I hope that your day is going well – and if you need something to scroll through while you enjoy a few quiet moments with yourself and your phone or computer – I’ve got some interesting things for ya to take a peep at. Depending on when you read this today – Shaun and I are either on our way or currently knee deep in a Toy Show in St. Tammany Louisiana. Wish us luck and send all the good vibes that we sell off a big chunk of his toy collection. 🙂
What’s Saturday Share? I started this little series on the blog that runs on Saturdays where I share with you some of the things I’ve run across online that have caught my eye and made me linger for a bit. What kinds of things you ask? Well most likely there will be lots of links to blog posts I’ve read throughout the week, or links to products I want to buy, or maybe even a few funny memes. The possibilities are just really endless!
- This article about saying goodbye to Payless held me captive. I mean – just read this quote and tell me you don’t want to click over and read the whole thing? I definitely did. Twice.
Payless demonstrates who the so-called “retail apocalypse” is actually hurting. Most media coverage of the chain’s demise has focused on declining revenue and on the changing whims of consumers. But it’s the lowest-paid workers who are truly feeling this loss. They’re also the ones who need accessible brick and mortar shops. Shopping online still requires relative privilege — reliable internet, credit, a secure address, etc. Big-box stores like Walmart and Target are, frankly, exhausting — I’m an able-bodied adult and I get tired just thinking about going to one. Payless is going away, but like so many things in our current economy — full-time employment, affordable education, healthcare — it won’t be replaced by something that actually meets people’s needs, especially the needs of the very people this system marginalizes.
FAREWELL TO PAYLESS AND ITS TERRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY CHEAP, OCCASIONALLY MEANINGFUL SHOES
- These Foodie Dice on Amazon are GENIUS. lol Seems like a cute and fun way to help with that ever frustrating question, “What do you want to eat?”
- My favorite accessory shop Nickel and Suede is running their Mother’s Day Sale where you get 15% off sitewide. AND they introduced the cutest mommy and me sets that kinda make me wish Sophie Grace was a bit older and had pierced ears. 😉 I did grab a pair for myself – cause you know.. I needed a new pair of N&S earrings. 😉
- Speaking of cheap shoes… I mentioned buying some knock off Birkenstock Rubber Sandals in a previous Saturday Share , and well I’m here to give an update that is all thumbs up. You need these in your life. They are super cute and so practical. I wore them during our Destin trip which they were perfect for moving from beach to pool and back again without having worry about any damage to the shoe! I got mine from Walmart, but I did find an option on Amazon.
- I do this thing when I get hooked on a song where I’ll unashamedly listen to it over and over again. Sucker by the Jonas Brothers is my current indulgence.
That’s it you guys – three cheers to the weekend… I hope you make the most of it. 🙂